Last night I came home to discover a 5 foot black snake on the back lawn. Whilst poisonous they are a slow killer and generally quite timid.
The "Red Belly" hence its name "Red Bellied Black Snake"
Sadly it had been killed by our two terriers. Even more sadly it had bitten one of the dogs which is now at the vets under going anti venom treatment. The needle is $1200.00 plus the vet bill itself.
I am advised that there is no guarantee the dog will live. If my daughter was not with me at the time I would have advised the vet to put the poor little fellow down. But its Christmas, and he is a great little dog.
I am awaiting the news from the vet either way as I type. The fact is- no poisonous snake is ever 100% safe.